In 1859, early German and Polish settlers began to settle in an area located between Sand Beach (now Harbor Beach) and Bad Axe, Michigan. The area was blessed with stands of virgin timber of hardwoods, pine, cedar, and hemlock. The families of these settlers worked diligently to transform the surrounding area into land that was suitable for farming. The soil consisted of rich clay loam.
By an act of the Michigan Legislature, the surveyed township number 16 north, of range 14 east, in the County of Huron, was organized into a township, and given the name Sigel. This name honored Civil War General Franz Seigel, who served in the Union army.
The Sigel Township School District #3 was organized on August 31, 1883, when Moses S. Dundas sold a one acre tract of land to the new school district for $23.00.