Church School celebrated their 100th anniversary on July 9, 1995. On July 9 100 years ago, land for the church school, formally known as Lincoln No. 2, was deeded to the school district by Julius and Sophia Labute for the price of $49.50. The Huron Tribune posted a notice on June 21 1895, that requested sealed tenders for the erection of a veneered schoolhouse in District No. 2, Township of Lincoln.
While the complete records of who taught at the school that first year were not preserved, we do know that the school was completed and was most likely in session because of June Nelson who authored the story, A Long Trek. The story is one of may in Ms. Nelson's book entitled "Tales from the Tip of the Thumb." The story tells of a wagon train leaving from Filion, MI in October 1895 and the travelers were looking for a map of the United States. One of them remembered that the new Lincoln No. 2 schoolhouse on the corner had such a map in its geography chart and they had no trouble obtaining it in the middle of the night.
There was a record attendance of eighty-two students in the 1908 - 1909 school year. In 2003 the school was renovated and retained its two room status. Special care was taken to preserve signed bricks for reuse in the new construction.
For over 100 years that schoolhouse on the corner has taught thousands of students the basic building blocks that lead to a life of learning.
It is the policy of the Huron County Rural Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, age, height, weight, marital status, genetic information, or any other legally-protected characteristic, in its programs, activities, or employment.