Big Burning School
Colfax Township School District #1F
As far as we know, the Big Burning School was in existence several years before Bad Axe became the county seat, starting in 1891. William Elvin, Grandfather of Bill Elvin, deeded the land that the school stands on. We have a list of teachers from 1893 – 1896 but no records from 1897 – 1914. We do know that John Clark’s Aunt taught at Big Burning School from 1891 – 1910 and Art Hogan taught during this time but the exact dates are not known. Student count has ranged from as high as 95 in the late eighteen hundreds to the present number of 25, all being taught by one teacher.
- Dr. Nancy Lubeski – Superintendent
- Julie Talaski – Rural School Supervisor
- David Clardie – President
- Coleen Sutton – Secretary
- June Osantowski – Treasurer
It is the policy of the Huron County Rural Schools not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, age, height, weight, marital status, genetic information, or any other legally-protected characteristic, in its programs, activities, or employment.